NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between cvi and teststand calling a dll

Hello all ,

Is there any different between calling a dll from cvi to calling it on teststand ?

asking because i have a large data set i pass to a dll i got from a vendor created in c++ visualstudio .

it works just fine when i call it from exe file i created in cvi . but when calling from teststand i experience misplaced data like shift( huge struct) .

i checked for alignment problems its not the issue . i suspect maybe memory usage or something like that , that is different when calling a dll from teststand .

thanks ahead.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(106 Views)

Take a look at the C/C++ Struct passing example:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2019 (32-bit)\Examples\Fundamentals\Passing Structs to Code Modules\C

You create TestStand types that match the struct and set the properties to align with the data; and note that there are different packing options depending on how the DLL was built.

eejallen_0-1714776532490.png

"The development environment that you use to create DLLs determines the options for the structure packing value.

Visual C++ and Symantec C++ use a default of 8-byte packing. LabVIEW, Borland C++, and Watcom C++ use a default of 1-byte packing. For LabWindows/CVI, the default packing can be 8-byte or 1-byte, depending on the compatibility mode. For example, in Visual C++ compatibility mode, LabWindows/CVI uses a default of 8-byte packing."

And then you can retrieve the data by reference or value which dictates how you will set your module step settings

eejallen_1-1714776735193.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(74 Views)

First of all , thank you for the response .

i have my struct aligned to the struct in the dll moreover, i also have a function call that accepts the fields of the struct instead of the struct and building it all inside the dll . the problem is still there .

i can explain in more detail what the problem is if you think it might help , but in general its a nested struct that the 1 before last field being shifted and it also effects the data that i want to pass to the last field (like the field before last takes all the space than i cant reach last field).

having said that, when i repeat the same function call passing the same arguments it might work on the third-forth-fifth time or even at first time

but having a loop for my whole testing is problematic .

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(46 Views)