Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modular Programming in LabVIEW 7 SE

Hi All

I am trying to  do modular programming in LabVIEW inorder to do my block processing and give an impression of a real time processing unit. I am having problems trying to figure out how to do so. I have attached my VI along with this post, please if you can take a look and suggest any approach that I can take to do modular programming. Currently, I am using a collector to collect a defined number of samples and save it to a memory location. That data in the memory location will be used by MATLAB later for signal processing. But I see that the VI does not eve run, the data is not being saved onto the files. I dont know where the problem lies. Please help me out!! Smiley Sad

The VI somehow freezes on me and I have to press the abort button instaed of the stop button, since the stop button is useless after I start the VI once. Previously, I tried using relays to do modular programming, but that did not work out for me so I decided to use the collector instead. If anyone can help in this issue, I will be really very grateful, as this is a major part of my thesis project.

Thanks in advance

Rohit Narula
Rohit Narula
4th Year Electrical Engineering
Ryerson University, Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Email: rohit.narula@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,543 Views)

Hello,

I really don’t know what you mean by modular in this case.  Modular typically refers to the concept of breaking down your program into distinct components (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+modular+programming&btnG=Google+Search).  I notice that your program does lock up on me too, but it seems unrelated.  I do think good programming is necessary (in fact, you might want to consider reviewing the LabVIEW Style Guidelines), but in this case, it seems as though your program is stuck in one of your formula nodes with the while loop.  I deleted that node altogether and it hasn’t frozen on me since.  I would consider taking a look at whether your loop inside your formula node halts.

Hope it helps!

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,533 Views)

Hello Sir

My problem of the VI freezing on me was solved way back by Dennis. He told me that my while loop was stuck in an infinite loop when I said while (1). I removed that and it was working fine then. After that my aim was to get modular probramming done. As you have correctly looked up the definition (pardon me for a poor explanation), I did manage to break my data in 2 parts and store them alternatevely. That is exactly what I am doing with 2 LVM's. If you see my 2nd VI that I uploaded, it perfectly does the job for me. Each memory location holds the data for 10 seconds and then re sets before new data comes in.

Rohit Narula
Ontario, Canada
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,529 Views)
Oops

Sorry my bad, I thought this was the other post. Since I was looking for a quick response, I had posted the same question in 2 places. If you go under LabVIEW discussion forum, by the same subject, you will find my post and all the discussion on it till now.
Rohit Narula
Ontario, Canada
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,528 Views)
Hello,

Please only post your question once to the board in its appropriate board next time.  For those following this thread, you can find the duplicate thread here.  Thanks!
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,515 Views)